Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) hold a four-year university degree and are allied health professionals, who specialise in the delivery of exercise for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries. AEPs provide support for clients with conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, mental health problems, cancer, arthritis, pulmonary disease and more. AEPs are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and WorkCover, and are recognised by most private health insurers.
You might see an AEP to help you:
- Overcome persisting pain caused by an injury or overuse
- Improve your heart health
- Rehabilitate following a cardiac event
- Control your diabetes
- Prevent pre-diabetes from progressing to full diabetes
- Improve your recovery following cancer treatment
- Improve your general health and wellbeing
AEPs also provide training in safe manual handling; perform functional assessments; carry out sub-maximal and maximal fitness tests; perform body composition tests and musculoskeletal assessments; and provide lifestyle education to help people manage their health conditions.