Hydrotherapy is a water based therapy designed to reduce pain and improve movement strength and balance. The Inform Hydrotherapy Program incorporates individual assessment, hands-on pool based physiotherapy treatment techniques and injury-specific exercises.
A variety of people can benefit from hydrotherapy especially those with chronic pain, osteoarthritis or after a knee or hip surgery. The warm water provides a pleasant environment to perform gentle exercises that can assist in reducing back and neck pain. If you are suffering from osteoarthritis, the water exercises help to offload painful joints and strengthen your muscles. Hydrotherapy is also a safe way to rebuild strength and range of motion after knee or hip surgery.
About the Hydrotherapy Program
- The program runs for 6 weeks and consists of 2 sessions per week at Menai Swim Academy taught by Lisa, our experienced physiotherapist.
- An assessment must take place prior to placement in the program to develop an individualized exercise program
- Exercises are given based on your specific injury and they will be progressed based on ability and tolerance
- Sessions are semi-private groups of 3-5 with physiotherapist supervision and guidance to allow for optimal attention and feedback
What are the benefits of Hydrotherapy?
- Muscular relaxation and decreased muscle spasm
- Decreased pain, due to warmth and support
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- Increased joint mobility
- Enhanced coordination, balance and stabilisation
- Improved enjoyment and confidence to move better
- Improve general fitness
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to know how to swim?
There are no swimming skills required for the program. The Menai Swim Academy Pool is 1.2m deep so you can safely stand.
- What is involved in the initial assessment?
A history and some measure of the injured area will be taken along with a questionnaire to ensure hydrotherapy is safe for you.
- What should I bring?
All you need is a swimming costume. It is best to arrive 10 minutes early to ensure enough time to change. A water bottle is recommended.
- How long do I have to wait after surgery to begin the hydrotherapy program?
It is recommended to ask your surgeon how long you need to wait before you can enter a pool. Our physiotherapist can contact your surgeon/doctor to ensure the best management plan for you.
- What are the pool facilities like?
Menai Swim Acadmey is an indoor heated pool quipped with change room and shower facilities. Pool access is via a ladder and water temperature is around 30°C.
BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL
Book online or call Inform Physio+Fitness on 9543 1888 to make an appointment.
Private health funds provide a rebate for all physiotherapy services. HICAPS and EFTPOS facilities are available for automatic claiming through your private health fund.